Saturday, January 1, 2011

May not be getting the car I have been waiting for

Well my car is almost here, but there's a problem. I called the dealership Chevrolet of Jersey City and spoke to my salesperson, I wanted to see if it was possible to complete the  order before the end of the year. He said it was and we started to do the paperwork over the phone.

Then the bombshell, they wanted $1500 over MSRP, if you've been following my interest in the Volt, you'll know I had a very hard time getting them to set  a firm price for the car, finally they gave me a price that was $535 over MSRP and I thought the issue was settled. Now the dealer is saying he doesnt remember giving me that price, I sent them the paper he wrote it on and he said that isnt his  handwritting. anyway I'm upset, and we didnt finish the order before the end of the year meaning it will be spring of 2012 before I get the Federal tax credit back. I also have a deposit with Englewood Chevrolet, as my backup and they told me I could  have first pick of the dealer cars they are getting in in a couple weeks at MSRP, but none of them are  Red with Heated seats (what I most want)

So now I'm stuck, do I buy the car I've been waiting for for the last 6 months, from a dealership I dont trust at a price I dont feel is right. Or do I buy a car that may not be exactly what I want from a the same dealership Lyle used, that seems to have been very upfront with me. Or do I go through the order process again, this time with a good dealership, and get the car around March.

Anyone know of a dealership in the NYC area selling a Red Volt with heated seats, for MSRP?


  1. Sorry to hear about your problems Robert. It must be tough knowing your car has been built but now the dealer is upping the price.

    Personally, I wouldn't buy it from them. I couldn't reward this kind of unprofessional business practices by giving them my money. $1,500 over MSRP is a rip off, plain and simple. there are many dealers out there selling at MSRP and in a little while you'll be able to buy one under MSRP.
    Good luck whatever you choose to do, I know you have been waiting a long time for the car so I understand if you bit the bullet and pay the extra money, it just really leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

  2. Tom,
    I've got my name in at a number of dealerships all offering Volts at MSRP, also have a Volt Advisor whose looking for a car like I want coming to the area. I may just buy from dealer stock, or if I cant find what I want reorder, they are moving faster on the orders now, so shouldnt take as long.
    done with Chevrolet of Jersey City