Thursday, February 5, 2009

In the Beginning

Back in September I read that BMW would be making an all electric version of the MINI and leasing it to 500 people in the California and New York/NEW Jersey area. For years I've been interested in Electric cars, following with interest the latest news on the Tesla Roadster, and Chevy Volt, I've also owned a BMW Z3 for over 10 years now. I had thought it would be at least late 2010 to 2011 before I'd be able to get an affordable electric or Range Extended Electric Vehicle, so I was thrilled with the prospect that I could drive an EV now, that was fully serviced by a company I've liked.

I quickly tried to find out how to apply, I was convinced you'd need to be a Movie Star or know someone in BMW to get one, but I kept looking for information. About a month later BMW debuted the MINI E at the LA autoshow and opened a web site for people to sign up to lease one of the 500 MINI E's as part of a field trial. I quickly filled out the form, which asked many interesting questions, to try and get an idea of who you were, one of my favorites was when it announced that all the data you'd entered was lost, and would you mind entering it again, it wasnt really lost they just wanted to get an idea of how you deal with problems.

So I filled out the request, and waited... and waited ... and waited. There had been a warning not to try and contact BMW or MINI personnel asking about the status of your request, or trying to pressure them for preferential treatment, so I made no attempt to find out what had happened to my request. By new years I figured I hadnt got in, with the way the economy and GAS prices had dropped I convinced myself this was a good thing and I should wait another 2 years for a new car.

Then towards the end of January I got a call, I'd been select to join the MINI E field trial.

next step is, they will be sending an electrician to make sure the charger box can be installed in my garage, I dont expect any problems with this as it is a relatively new home. Then its just a question of waiting for delivery, Im told that will be April or May.

No comments:

Post a Comment